Seeing Bella grow brings back nostalgic memories of my own childhood. Here's a list of fond childhood memories from a girl's perspective:
1. Super Hero Underoos. My favorite was the Wonder Woman underoos. I made my mom buy a set that was 2 sizes too big so I wouldn’t outgrow it as fast.
2. Socks with the pompon balls on the ankles. For some reason my balls never stayed on for long...
3. Jelly bracelets that came in every fluorescent color known to man. Why were these popular?
4. Halloween costumes made out of a plastic sheet that you tied on over your regular clothes. And of course the coolest part of the costume was the plastic strap-on face mask that made your face sweat like you just stepped into a sauna.
5. Playing tetherball at recess. I guess this was a favorite activity of mine because being a 5 foot giant in fifth grade allowed me to pretty much kick everyone’s ass at this game.
6. Cabbage Patch dolls. For years my father refused to buy one for me saying that I’d be a spoiled brat if he had to pay more than $50 for the ridiculous doll. Finally my mother convinced him to let me have one, but I knew it was a fake the second I examined the butt and failed to find the Xavier Roberts signature.
7. Garbage Pail cards. Collected and coveted by all the poor kids whose parents deprived them of the real doll.
8. Riding your new Schwinn banana-seat bicycle down the hill as the wind blew through your hair. Ok, so I never got the Schwinn bike with the bell and basket strapped to the front handlebar. Instead I had a boys BMX dirt bike with padded handlebars and thick treaded wheels. Apparently, my father, whose motto in life is “safety first”, thought the wide tread wheels and padded bars were much safer. Never mind that the bike branded me as the neighborhood tomboy.
9. Barbie Dream House. Ok, so this was another toy I never got. Fortunately, our neighbors had the Dream House where we’d spend hours dressing the dolls in Barbie Couture. And let’s not forget Ken who would always make us giggle when he tried to grope and kiss Barbie.
10. Playing outside in the snow, building snow men with noses made out of charcoal blocks and smiles made from garbage bag twisty-ties.
Oh, how carefree we were as children! I hope I never loose the adventurous spirit I had as a child and I hope that Bella builds her own fond memories of her youth in the years to come…




0 comments:
Post a Comment