We recently went on a trip to Cleveland, OH for a wedding. The plane ride to Middle America was long but Bella's presence made the trip bearable.
Before boarding the plane, I was asked by a stranger in the airport where we were headed and I replied that we were going to Cleveland, Ohio.
The woman frowned with a there-must-be-a-reasonable-explanation-for-going-there look.
"We're going to a wedding," I replied.
The woman sighed a relief, and nodded with a smile as if to say, "that explains it."
Yes, why on earth would you ever consider traveling to the Midwest where cows roam free and people drive miles away for the nearest Starbucks? This is a common sentiment of city dwellers who spend their entire lives on either coasts. After all, why would you leave the metropolis for a place where tractor pulls and hayrides are Friday night entertainment and Bob Evans or Old Country Buffet (OCB) are commonplace?
For one, the Midwest is likely the birthplace of good customer service. Our first meal in Ohio at Outback Steakhouse (a tradition itself that began in the Midwest) was enjoyable thanks to the warm and friendly service we got from our waitress. It was a dreary Friday night and outside a thunderstorm was brewing, but she went out of her way to make sure we had a great dining experience. I nudged Jin to suggest that he leave a big tip for her service, but then I remembered; we were in the Midwest. I had forgotten how nice people were here.
Going to any small town in the Midwest is like entering another world. People greet you with warm smiles and ask how you're doing. Strangers on their front lawn wave as you drive by. The front lawns of homes are larger than our combined footage of our current neighborhood, with backyards that stretch farther than the eye can see. People value family and friendships, not bank account balances and real estate.
Sure, there’s more road kill on the interstate and maybe kids get so bored they resort to snorting, but all in all, the Midwest has what Jin likes to say, “Good hometown folks”. I guess I’m a good ol’ hometown gal at heart.
Meanwhile, back in Bella's world:
Bella met her new best friend, Addison this weekend. For those who don't know, Addison's mommy is my best friend, Christine. And Addison's daddy, Jimmy, is Jin's best friend, so by logical association, Addison and Bella are best friends!....nevermind.
Anyway, here are some exerpts of their first encounter:

Mommy:"Smiles with a little more excitement, ladies!"

Addison: "You got somethin' in your nose, Bella"

Bella: "No way, Addie, get off!"
Addison: "C'mon! I'm not done pickin'!"

Bella: "Darn it, Addie! Haven't you heard the saying, 'you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but youcan't pick your friends' nose?'"





0 comments:
Post a Comment