August has been a busy month for us. Not only is August Bella’s birthday month, but this year on August 9th, my brother, Henry, got married to his beautiful wife, Christine. Welcome to the fam, Christine!
It was great to see other family members, cousins, Aunts and Uncles who traveled from all over the US to attend. Bella met some of my cousins’ children for the first time. By the end of the weekend, they were all best buddies. Hopefully we will see more of them during the holidays:
And yes, I gave my speech at the reception. Of course they lined me up after the Father-of-the-Bride speech, which was eloquently delivered by Christine’s father. His speech was gracious and sentimental, funny yet truthful, and most importantly, spoken with poise. Mine, on the other hand, was filled with blubbering tears and probably sounded like a speeding train wreck. Some of you have asked to hear it so here it is for your reading pleasure. It won’t sound the same without the whimpering and muffled tears:
Growing up with Henry, I had the unique privilege of watching him transform from a young toddler to the successful and confident young man that he is today. As we grew up together, my experiences with him made it more and more clear to me what type of man he was to grow up to be.
My earliest memory of Henry was holding him as a newborn infant. I was no more than 3 years old, and as I held him wobbly in my arms, I recall wanting to protect him like a prized possession or favorite doll. Unlike most first-siblings, I wasn’t jealous of the new family member. In fact, if anything, Henry was my permanent playmate.
As young children, we would take turns bouncing up and down on the mattress until the springs sagged. We performed skits on the make-shift stage in the family room that our father built for us. We set up scavenger hunts and played outside until it was too dark to see. And although he’d have his occasional testosterone meltdowns – like throwing the couch ottoman at my head, one that was double his size and weight – Henry was, all things considered, the perfect little brother.
I, on the other hand, saw every occasion to terrorize him and to use him as the butt of all my cruel and unusual jokes. Like the time when I dropped our cat, claws-first, on his head as he napped. Or when I pretended to run away from home just to see if he would cry (he did!). And if he wasn’t the butt of my jokes, then he was the perfect scapegoat for all my childhood deviances. I blamed him for things like breaking the front porch window when I secretly did it when no one was looking. When we were older and we went to church socials together, I used him as an excuse if we were home late, when it was really me that lagged to stay longer. But Henry took things in stride. He never minded that I blamed him for things he didn’t do, or used him for a good laugh.
In the end, Henry was always there for me with open ears and outstretched arms. When I felt the injustices of parental control, Henry was there to share my grief. Like the time I was denied going on a Spring Break trip for my Senior Year of high school. As a consolation, my father took us on a family road-trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma. Henry’s presence was my only saving grace. When boy troubles came, Henry always offered objective and thoughtful advice on how to avoid further trouble. From these conversations, I could tell that he would later treat women with the utmost respect and consideration. We spent many late nights simply talking and pondering on life’s many mysteries. And although he was three years younger, his wisdom beyond his years, knowledge of the world and understanding of purpose in life was something I always deeply admired about him.
Fast-forward several years later and now Henry is turning down a new path in life with his soul mate, Christine. As I watch my little brother today accept his vows to forever love and honor Christine, one thing is for certain. The man that he has become today is a clear reflection of what he was yesterday. From our early childhood years, when he was my prized little doll, my playmate and scapegoat, he became my guidance counselor, my relationship therapist, and through it all, my trusted and loyal friend. And so to you, Christine, take comfort in knowing that he, too, will treat you with utmost consideration, and respect. He will be your friend and confidante through good times and bad. And he will be with you with all abiding love and loyalty, forever.
Please join me in a toast to the wonderful new couple. May you build a happy home together, filled with many years of fond memories.
The following week, we attended another wedding where Bella was once again a beautiful flower girl. This time, my friend Sandy married her husband, Harry. I’m proud to claim that I was involved in setting this lovely couple up on their first encounter. Yes, when Harry met Sandy. I’m sure they’ve heard it a thousand times before…
The wedding was held at the famous Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, CA where the wealthy spend their hard-earned money and celebs vacation in anonymity. That is, until an innocent by-stander like myself takes the opportunity to announce to the world that she’s in the same elevator as Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick! Yep, you read right. I was nonchalantly walking up to the elevator when a gentleman politely motioned for me to enter first, “After you”. I smiled at the man and then realized it was none other than KB himself! Then I took my place in the elevator right next to Kyra! I tried to act cool, suppressing the excitement in my tone and said, “I know you guys. Are you staying here?” At which point KB nodded and smiled nervously as if waiting for some crazy-fan reaction thinking I’d squeal with delight asking for his autograph. But that didn’t happen, and by the time I thought of my next line, the elevator doors opened and I managed to add, “Have a nice stay…”
After that, we were all star-struck! My friend swore she spotted Mindy Cohen (the B-rated actress that did nothing else after Facts of Life) and we were convinced we were following David Spade wearing a fat suit (for an upcoming role, we rationalized). Even in the airport on the way home, Jin and I frantically chased some poor woman through security into a bookstore to confirm that we saw Jennifer Aniston (dressed way-down with no make-up to detract attention, of course). To our dismay, it wasn't her. Two star-sightings were good enough.
Anyway, back to the wedding. The ceremony was gorgeous with the serene Pacific Ocean as a backdrop. And Sandy looked stunning in her Monique Lhuillier gown.














0 comments:
Post a Comment