Thursday, August 25, 2005

Baby Blah...

at Thursday, August 25, 2005
I woke up today feeling extra tired and a little achy. My joints were sore and my head was pounding. Is this the usual fatigue that all mothers endure? My temperature was 99.3. I went back to sleep hoping that the extra sleep would revive me.

When I woke up, I felt hotter than usual - my temperature read 101! I called the advice nurse at the hospital and she told me that I might be developing a breast infection. How was this so? Bella was so good at breastfeeding. My nipples were pretty sore but I was told that this was normal. Apparently, something was wrong.

Since it was after hours at the doctors' office, Jin decided to drive me to the ER. Of course this ordeal would last at least 4 hours, but by now, my temperature had hit 102 degrees!

As expected, we waited patiently in the waiting room for an hour and was eventually seen by a doctor. After a urine test, an exam of my breasts, and blood work, the doctor still could not find a clear cause of my fever or a source for my infection. She speculated that it was perhaps a urinary tract infection, or that I was beginning to develop mastitis (breast infection). Both required treatment with antibiotics so after our 5-hour ordeal, I was sent home with a week-long course of antibiotics. The medicine is considered safe for nursing babies so I decided to continue breastfeeding Bella.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
 

The Misadventures of Mommy Mayhem Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez