Sunday, February 25, 2007

Miss Manners

at Sunday, February 25, 2007

They say it's never too early to begin teaching a child manners. I'm not sure who "they" are, but given my lack of experience in child-rearing, I've been reduced to heeding advice from the pages of Parents Magazine.

According to the article (June 2006), kids aren't born with the polite gene and must be taught manners starting as early as one year-old. Similar to training a young pup, kids, especially toddlers, need constant reminders from both mom and dad on how to behave like good little angels. Of course I dare not compare my dear Bella to training a dog, but let's face it, parents. Toddlers are defiant little ones if not provided with boundaries and guidelines. Instilling manners, like saying, "thank you" and "please" are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to raising a polite child.

Teaching Bella simple manners has actually been quite an easy task. Sure, she needs constant reminders to say "thank you" (which pronounced by Bella sounds like, "tich-tchu") after snatching the rice crispy treat from your hands, but overall, Bella does seem to have some sort of pre-wired disposition that lends her to be quite a polite child.

Which brings us to the age-old question, is it nature or nurture that determines the outcome of a child's personality? I'm sure few people would argue that it is a intricate balance of both genetic determinants and environmental stimulants that add together in the complex equation of a child's personality. However, in my limited experience with just one child, I must say that genetics so far have played a more dominant role in determining Bella's kind and warm disposition. Not that I'm touting superior genes. Quite the contrary. In fact, I'm suggesting that my parenting skills are far from good enough to account for Bella's cheerful mood. Either way, I'll take what I can get!

Here are few pictures of Bella's silly faces:

01_07 Lounging about 006
Bella growls to show her bottom row of mini-teeth.

02_07_rainy day 009
Pre-meltdown face for reasons unknown to everyone else but Bella.

02_07_rainy day 015
One-eyed, evil eye stare.

Bathtime pictures:

BathTime 013BathTime 012

BathTime 006BathTime 005
Washing her own hair. Trying a new mohawk 'do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
 

The Misadventures of Mommy Mayhem Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez