Anyway, back to the big day of the Spring Recital.
Pre-performance with no stage makeup yet...

...with ample stage makeup (yes, those are smokey eyes, ladies)
Forty minutes later, after Bella and I enjoyed casually watching the show, we were escorted backstage with the children to prepare. Bella quickly joined her excited classmates while moms tried to tie tap shoe straps on restless, wiggly children. I reached my hand into Bella's dance bag to retrieve her tap shoes when my heart sank; I pulled out her ballet shoes and a water botttle. No tap shoes. My heart started racing as I checked and rechecked the bag. Still no tap shoes. Bella sensed my panic and herself began to silently withdraw in desperation. I whimpered my dilemma to a nearby mother who told the Dance Director. What ensued amidst the chaos and cacophony of noise was a well-coordinated fire drill starting with a mere finger snap from the Director followed by a scattering of her minions. Soon I was shushed from the backstage area as the girls lined up to go on stage. Bella stood speechless looking at me, still with no tap shoes on. I waved a quick good-bye, blew her a kiss, and prayed she wouldn't start crying.
"How could I be so stupid?" I chastised. But there was no time to think. The girls would be on in less than a minute and I had to race around to the front of the theater to my front-and-center spot in the audience. I met Maddie and Jin in the seats. My brow was thick with sweat, my shirt damp with perspiration. Jin sensed my nervousness and immediately helped to get the camera ready. We had one chance to get this right.
The curtains closed and the lights went dim as the next act prepared to position themselves. We waited sitting on the edge of our seats with camera poised and ready. Then, the curtains opened and the blaring lights illuminated the stage....
And yes, Bella had tap shoes! Apparently she borrowed some from another girl who danced before Bella. It was obvious from the quick and well-coordinated actions of the Dance Director that she had experience with similar circumstances. Whew! Afterwards, Bella was all smiles, posing gallantly with her friend, Jada and her classmates:
After a near-disastrous day, the Dance Director came to the rescue to make Bella's first dance recital a memorable occasion.
5 comments:
Mama how could you!!! j/k my heart sank too when reading your blog. So glad it all worked out. Bella looks so cute! I want to enroll Josie too! For some reason, whenever I see Josie doing some sort of stage performance (her school has 2 performance a year) I'm not sure why, but I start crying and getting all choked up. I think it's a mix of being proud and touched. I'm sure you felt the same way about Bella :)
Hey that's a pretty sassy performance for 4 yr olds! Bella did great and looked like she had so much fun. Glad the potential disaster resolved itself!
Hey that's a pretty sassy performance for 4 yr olds! Bella did great! Glad the potential disaster was resolved!
June 29, 2010
oh my gosh, i started sweating while reading this! hahaha! thank goodness for those assistants or directors or whatever backstage! bella did great! she's got her momma's talent! :)
oh my gosh, i started sweating while reading this! hahaha! thank goodness for those assistants or directors or whatever backstage! bella did great! she's got her momma's talent! :)
Post a Comment