I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. It's loaded with a bunch of cool multimedia features (so I'm told), all of which are so complex to configure that it practically requires a second degree. Supposedly, I can watch streaming TV, record TV shows, make movies, etc. It even comes with a remote control. But unfortunately, I have no desire to learn about these features. Had I been able to afford this cool gadget a few years earlier, I would have poured every free moment I could into learning the ins and outs of my new toy. But, I realize now that I'm stuck in my ways and have little patience or time to waste on such frustrations. I've decided from now on, I will learn things on a need-to-know basis.
For instance, just the other day I asked my token techie friend, Danny, what a wireless network was. He explained to me that a wireless network allows me to gain access to the internet from my laptop without hooking it up to the router (another computer anomaly). He proceeded to explain to me the technical explanation of configuring a 'secure' network, why you need a WEP (huh?), blah, blah, blah. Just tell me what I need to know. Apparently, I don't need to do anything - my wireless router does it all automatically. What was the point of this story again? I know I had a point, but I walked away from computer in the middle of my entry and I obviously lost my train of thought. I think this is what they call "Mommy brain".




0 comments:
Post a Comment