A while back when we visited Middle America, Jin talked to a childhood buddy who happens to have children – two to be exact. They shared anecdotes on parenthood, swapped advice on dealing with sleep, and probably compared notes on how each other’s (love) lives have changed since the babies. When the discussion turned to their eldest 2-year-old daughter, T, the conversation took a turn for the serious. The father reported vehemently that once she turned two, she became – and I quote, “an absolute terror”. He said that once she began walking, she never again sat still. Twenty-four hours a day, she runs around getting into things, opening cabinet doors, throwing things about, even pulling out knives from drawers. Ok, maybe she’s not up 24 hours a day, but the knives part of the story is true. Suffice it to say, the poor parents have been playing baby tag for the past several months trying to keep her out of harm’s way.
These days, we are experiencing our own terrorism. Not the kind you see on CNN, but the kind that’s characterized by crawling babies with curious eyes and sticky fingers. Once again at the risk of sounding like a neglectful parent, I will admit that I have recently discovered Bella in very precarious situations after taking my eyes off her for only a few minutes.
For instance, the other day I tried to quickly reply to some work-related emails, so I placed Bella behind me on the floor along with a handful of her favorite toys. No less than 5 minutes had passed when I turned around to see the tornado effect lying before my feet:

It’s a good thing she likes to read. “Ahem, Bella, the magazine is upside-down!”
Here’s a shot of her trying to snatch a quick snack off the table before her afternoon swim:
Hmmm…Let's see what I can reach to eat?





0 comments:
Post a Comment