Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, Madeleine!

at Friday, April 30, 2010
My baby turned 1 year old yesterday! To celebrate, Jin ordered an adorable duck-shaped cake big enough to feed 15 people (even though there was only 4 of us eating). Nice one, honey!

But the festivities didn't begin just yesterday. For the past week we've been showering Maddie with attention, describing to her all the milestones she passed, and expressing our love for her - all without much thought to the brewing jealousy that was growing inside Big Sister Bella's head.  After all, this was a momentous occasion, one that only occurs once, so Bella would have to learn that her sister deserved our undivided attention once in a while.

Bella didn't take it lightly. Through the week she was noticeably cranky and cried on cue like an Academy-award-winning actress. She was uncharacteristically defiant and used her signature phrase, "but what about me?" on numerous occasions, including the time when I got Maddie her fiddlesticks (toddler food that looks more like dog treats).  All the extra love and attention we paid to Bella to compensate for her fragile emotional state didn't make up for the fact that she was insanely (and normally, I suppose) jealous of her sibling. We even took her separately to Baskin Robins for a special treat, leaving little Maddie at home with the nanny, but to no avail. She quickly forgot her special time with mommy and daddy and went back to her jealous ways. I suppose it is all natural. And kids eventually grow out of this, right?

But here I am talking about Bella when it was Maddie's birthday! This just goes to show you how much of the attention pie Bella commands!

Can I eat cake yet?
Here is adorable little Maddie squirming with delight as she realizes we are singing in honor of her special day (nevermind the grumpy sour-puss expression that develops on Bella's face).


Of note, Bella is wearing crazy face paint put on by an amature artist at school. The one day we wanted to take nice family photos, she comes home with war paint on, and then refuses to take it off! Murphy's Law, I tell ya!

I made a little movie to commemorate Maddie's first year. It was definitely worth the time spent making it!

More to come on Maddie's birthday in two weeks when we have a joint celebration with her friend, Declan! And yes, I should sufficiently prep Bella about the party so she won't be a party pooper! I just realized, it must be common to have jealous party poopers; otherwise, why would we have the common phrase?

Maddie loves to get excited and scream and clap:

Maddie loved her first bite of birthday cake. Yummy!
 My Girls (never mind the war paint on Bella's face)

2 comments:

lucy on May 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM said...

awww... I guess when you've had a lot of attention from your parents, it's hard to give it up. totally normal! btw, there is a black man in your family photo. LOL!

christine's blog on May 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM said...

hahahaha! lucy, i thought the same thing! hehe

anyway, but yeah, totally normal jealous sibling stuff. she'll grow out of it. love the videos, cindy! maddie is a doll!! i want to squeeze the bajesus outta her!

Post a Comment

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
 

The Misadventures of Mommy Mayhem Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez