Whew! We made it home from the pediatrician's office. Bella's 4 month check-up went just as planned. Dr. Lam checked her heart, lungs, hips, ears, eyes, and motor function. Bella is developing well, we were told. Her back muscles are strong - she holds her body steadily when sitting upright, and her neck muscles support her gigantic head when she's on her belly. As usual, Jin and I pulled out a laundry list of questions for Dr. Lam and patiently, she answered each one. When should we introduce solid foods? Should we be concerned about her rolling face-down in her crib at night? Can we use a walker to encourage standing? We also recently noticed that Bella has been drooling like Niagra Falls and when we probed her mouth, we noticed the tip of her first tooth sprouting through her lower gums! Bella is teething! We were told that babies may become fussy or even develop a low-grade fever when their teeth come in. This explains the low-grade fever (~100.0 F) she had a few weeks ago. For her weigh in, Bella checked in at 16 pounds, 2 ounces, and 25.5 inches in length, well within the 95th percentile for growth! Guess we know she's not starving!
After the physical exam, I knew what was to come and I couldn't stall any longer with random questions for Dr. Lam to avoid the inevitable. Dr. Lam said her good-byes and instructed us to proceed to the waiting room to be called for Bella's immunization shots. Like last time, she was scheduled to get 4 shots (DTaP, HiB, inactivated polio, and pneumococcus) and just like last time, I started to sweat and fidget nervously as we waited. Jin and I already planned to have me wait in the waiting room while he carried her to get the injections. I already primed him on my preferred soothing techniques should she have a full-blown melt-down like before. Finally, they called her name and I gave her a final kiss on the cheek as she disappeard into the injection room.
Time stood still as I nervoulsy waited for her return. I couldn't help but imagine in my head all that was going on. Finally, after the longest 10 minutes of my life, Jin and Bella emerged from the room! Miraculously, she was quietly sucking on her binky with only a small, residual tear on her cheek. Jin reported that she was brave and only cried after the 3rd and 4th shot and after a little consoling, she was again quiet. He attributed her calm reaction to her jumbo-thighs which probably have little nerve sensation. I looked in her eyes and she clearly looked content as if nothing had happened. Perhaps we'll both get the hang of this. Her next appointment is not until February. I have 2 months to toughen my own hide.
0 comments:
Post a Comment