Normally I don't surf the net on xanga reading random entries but last night I came across an entry from citygirl007 that disturbed me. In her entry she writes about being robbed of her precious RAZR cell phone in broad daylight by whom she describes to be "ghetto black kids". She then goes on to talk about how black kids are "dumb and pathetic" and that black people are disorderly, likening them to a pack of wild animals that belong in a zoo.
After posting her entry, she was bombarded with a slew of comments from people calling her racist, and rightly so. I'm almost certain that she would never have publicly professed such flagrant generalizations if she were not hiding behind anonymity on her blog.
I couldn't help but post a comment on her site in response:
"As angry as you are with those ghetto black kids, it's not the kids that you should be angry with - it's the parents who have no time, self-respect or knowledge to teach their children right from wrong. And it's our greedy self-indulgent society that teaches these children to care more about the riches of materialism than the wealth of integrity."
Although she was an unfortunate victim, she remains blinded to the reality of the situation - that she should be thankful she was not harmed and that she should be grateful for being so privileged to even have a RAZR phone. Her replaceable loss is not worthy of the contagious spread of racial intolerance.
What can we do to ensure our children are raised with the same integrity that our parents instilled in us?
ADDENDUM: My friend, BadMuthaYu has written an entry in response to my reaction to citygirl007. While he is entitled to his own opinion, might I clarify that I was not that offended by her calling her black perpetrator "ghetto". I suppose anyone could be considered "ghetto" based on their behavior (in my book, stealing a phone in broad daylight is pretty ghetto).
What saddened me was her broad generalization on an entire group of people based on the actions of one kid. Her comment on how black people rush to the door of the bus like a pack of animals that belong in a zoo was completely irrelevant to her situation. What do black people waiting for a bus have to do with her phone being stolen? Unfortunately, it seems that Citygirl was not only robbed of her cell phone but robbed of her own judgement.
Since when did we become so intolerant of differences in others?
0 comments:
Post a Comment