This is a few days overdue, but I wanted to share a few pictures of Bella's third Halloween. This year, much to Bella's dismay, she dressed up as a fairy princess. I know this might seem contradictory because most young girls her age are all pining to be a princess or fairy. But for weeks leading up to Halloween, Bella insisted on being a pirate (don't ask me how she got that idea in her head). She even perfected a very authentic pirate's growl, "ARGH! I'm a pirate!"
When people asked her what she was dressing up as, Bella would reply, "I'm going to be a pirate" even though she knew full well that she had a beautiful princess dress at home that Grandma Yun bought for her. At which time I would chuckle sheepishly and reply, "No Bella, you're going to be a fairy princess."
Never did I think I would ever be encouraging her towards gender-specific things, for I always strongly believed that our child should grow and experience life as she sees it, unhindered by what society dictates or what her over-bearing mother might say. But recently Bella has been testing herself, or maybe it’s us she is testing, by repeatedly proclaiming that she’s a boy. It was around this time when her gender identity crisis set in that I decided it was my duty to step in and "guide her by gentle persuasion."
Hence the over-the-top, girlie-girl, princess fairy costume in all her lustrous female glory:
Needless to say, once Bella tried on the full regalia, she instantly loved it (see the toothy grin and glow emanating from her face?) So much so, that everyday after school and at night we have to change her into the dress so she can be a princess. I think we've successfully rid her of her pirate/boyish fixation.
This year at school Bella and her class took a trip to the pumpkin patch where the kids learned about pumpkins and gourds, saw farm animals, and picked her very own pumpkin to take home.
Here are a few pictures of her friend from school as we rode to the pumpkin patch:


Smiling for the camera, then making funny faces.
Smiling for the camera, then making funny faces.
Happy Halloween!
0 comments:
Post a Comment