Also, today Universal Pictures is filming a movie at Jin's pharmacy called Pursuit of Happyness, starring Will Smith. The movie is based on a true story of a man who looses everything and becomes homeless, but then works his way into a brokerage firm only to one day become a self-made, multi-millionaire. They used his pharmacy as a backdrop for a blood bank, where the main character, played by Will Smith, goes to give blood for money.
Jin met Will and the cast earlier in the day and he suggested that I come to the pharmacy at lunch to catch a glimpse of the stars.
The streets near his pharmacy were all blocked off. Because the movie took place in the 1980's, the street signs and parking meters were replaced with 1980's replicas, the taxi billboards advertised movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Even the cars parked in the background were 1980's Buicks and Pontiacs. People from the cast and crew were everywhere. It was incredible to see how many people and how much money it took to film just a few scenes of a movie. I learned later from Jin that the casting director paid the pharmacy owner several thousand dollars for use of the pharmacy for one day. Even the stores nearby were given money just to keep the sidewalks in front of their stores clear.
When I arrived at the pharmacy front door, I was blocked by a large, bouncer-looking man wearing a head-set. I told him that I worked at the pharmacy and was reporting for work. He believed my lie, but they were filming inside so no one was allowed in. He instructed me to wait outside for my cue to enter. As I waited, I watched the guy pace about looking suspiciously at everyone, speaking into his headset with the authority of a secret service agent. This was some operation! I felt like I was a part of a secret society waiting to see the Grand Master inside.
Eventually, the director screamed over the megaphone, "Cut!". And the scene was over.
I quickly walked towards the door and as I entered the pharmacy, Will Smith walked towards the door looking right through me (not at me, because I am a nobody to him). Jin then introduces us as if they were old friends, "Will, this is my wife, Cindy."
"Nice to meet you, Cindy." He reaches out his hand for me to shake. I guess I was a little star-struck at this moment because I don't really remember saying anything, but I remember thinking to myself, "play it cool". I'm a dork.
Anyway, as quickly as he comes, Will is whisked away by the crew members to his next scene. And that's all I have to say about that.
**UPDATE**
Two years later, Columbia Pictures releases the critically-acclaimed movie. Unfortunately, the scene filmed in the pharmacy didn't make the final cut. Oh well...





0 comments:
Post a Comment